Thursday, August 25, 2011

Writing "Action" And A New Production Video

Spirit Blade Productions : Christian Sci-fi and Fantasy
Spirit Blade Productions Newsletter, August 25, 2011
In case of problems viewing content(pictures/video/audio) you may also see this page at our Newsletter Website. If you are a new subscriber, please visit our Welcome Page!


Writing Action

Have I ever mentioned that action sequences are tough to design for audio drama? I was writing one recently, and as usual it plays out very different from what a film version would look like. I take a lot of inspiration from film as opposed to other audio dramas, which I think gives my work a specific and unique flavor, especially concerning how I handle action.

I rely on the fact that my audience is made up of movie-goers like me and can "fill in the gaps" in action scenes with the help of movies they've seen, music and sound effects I provide, and their imaginations. If I rely on this too heavily, it becomes too difficult to tell what's happening. If I don't rely on it enough, then I've got characters describing out loud everything they're doing. (Lame. Who does that?)

So the challenge with my latest "action scene" has involved scrapping two attempts and taking it in a very different direction than I had planned because of the limitations of the medium. Although very different from what I've been imagining for this scene until recently, I think the direction I'm going now plays up the strengths, rather than weaknesses, of audio drama.

-Paeter Frandsen




Michael E. Bryce Recording Session, Part 2!Link

Mickey's voice reaches the breaking point and vocal fatigue threatens to halt the recording session! Can he power through? For part one of this video and all of our other production videos, visit spiritblade.net/videos!






We Need Some Art!

The Spirit Blade Underground Alliance will soon be releasing a new audio drama that we need a cool image for.

The audio drama is called "Jealousy", a murder mystery set in a post-pandemic future. A small town in the desolate remains of the U.S. is distraught after a shocking murder. But without any formal law enforcement structure, they are struggling to solve the mystery and keep their town safe.

If you're "graphically inclined" and would like to create something we can use, please shoot me an e-mail at paeter(at)spiritblade(dot)net for details and a script (if you'd like to read it).





As always, there's a TON more to explore at spiritblade.net!

-Paeter Frandsen


Spirit Blade Productions : Christian Sci-fi and Fantasy


Want more frequent updates and content? Visit or subscribe to Our Official Blog and Paeter's Brain!
And for even more content and community, check out our Podcast and Forums!

We will only use your e-mail address to send you news and updates about Spirit Blade Productions.



No comments:

Post a Comment